Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Bachelor

In my post baccalaureate life, I've run out of things to do on a weekend by myself. Last night, I didn't want to watch COPS, so I settled for The Bachelor. I never watched the show, but the new Bachelor was attractive and hardly wears a shirt so I was game. It was a repeat of the season premiere, so all the introductions were playing. First off, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. He's pilot from Texas with blonde hair and blue eyes. Hopeless romantic type and classically handsome.31 and single, he just wants someone to cuddle with on lonely rainy days. Ok, ABC, you've got me. I'm on Team Jake, even if he is convinced that he will find his future wife on a reality tv show. Hey, he believes in the process (he was a former contestant on The Bachelorette, but didn't make the cut).

BUT THEN...we meet the bachelorettes.

A parade of traditionally pretty women, all proclaiming their hope and love for this man they have yet to meet. Granted some of them watched the previous season, so they feel like they "know" Jake, but it's a little creepy how fervently each one believes that Jake holds the key to their happiness. Mostly tan, tall gorgeous women with cascading locks of wavy blonde hair and sparkling white teeth, none of the contestants seem interesting in their 2 min intros. I am however, rooting for this one brunette who is a pilot for the US National Guard. She seems the most interesting and genuine so far.

Now, I don't want to judge a pretty face, but most of them seem vapid or super bitchy. When they eached hopped out the limo and tried to make a solid 15 sec impression on Jake, it just got worse. The earnestness of each woman is palpable through the TV screen. It actually made me uncomfortable to watch. Actually squirm.

Dating is already such a vulnerable and exposing process, why would you want to do this on national TV? Now, I'm not young and impressionable, I understand that reality TV has created a whole new monster of reality TV "stars." Maybe it's my own impending break-up that makes me uncomfortable watching women fling themselves on this man. Now that I've graduated, it seems like dating will infinitely more difficult. There isn't a pool of potential dates surrounding me all the time. I can't imagine actually meeting someone at a bar or through online dating. Gahhhhh, anxiety.

2 comments:

eric said...

i'm glad you still wrrite

Tiasha Barik said...

Is it sad that I was probably doing the exact same thing as you on a few of my weekend nights?

... the show is so awkward!