Some pictures from our weekend trip to the Malaysian part of Borneo.
We spent the first day at the beach on two different islands.
We spent the first day at the beach on two different islands.
On the second day, Olli and I went to the Monsopiad Cultural Village to learn about the legendary Kadazan-Dusun headhunting warrior, Monsopiad. (Emilia went to the beach).
We took a cab to get to the cultural center, but the place was in the middle of nowhere so we couldn't hail a taxi to get back into the city. So we did as the locals do and flagged down a rickety van that was going to the nearest town which cost about USD 1 for both of us. There was already an adorable, tiny little old Malaysian lady in the van (which made me feel a little bit better that maybe I wouldn't get kidnapped and sold into a prostiution ring or something).
Also, you can see our matching best-friend necklaces that were given to us at the cultural center. We wore them as bracelets for the rest of the trip.
When we get into town, we hop onto a bus that runs into back into the city. Olli was really thirsty and wanted to get some water, but when we asked the driver when the bus was leaving, they didn't understand, so we just got on.
Turns out that buses don't run on a time frame. The driver (who looked about 25) and the kid (punk who couldn't have been older than 14) who was hollering "KK" (for Kota Kinabalu) didn't leave until the bus was completely full. The kid would hang out the open door, and as we approached people standing on the side of the road, he would yell "KK" in case anyone needed to board the bus. They also stop whenever there is a big enough group of people standing on the side of the road (doesn't matter if it's not a bus stop).
Overall a fun adventure weekend, but I am struggling to get through this week. Spring break has started for most people, but I still have class tomorrow and an exam on Saturday morning. Bleh. On the bright side, I'll be in Bangkok on Saturday evening until Monday night. Then we're going down to Phuket and doing some island hopping until Friday. I'm a little sad that I won't have time to go ride elephants in the jungle, but I'm conflicted because the elephants aren't always treated with the greatest care in the tourism industry here.
Hopefully I'll have a nice safe trip and that the riots don't start up again.
Last time the riots raged, the airport shut down. Crossing my fingers.
Also, you can see our matching best-friend necklaces that were given to us at the cultural center. We wore them as bracelets for the rest of the trip.
When we get into town, we hop onto a bus that runs into back into the city. Olli was really thirsty and wanted to get some water, but when we asked the driver when the bus was leaving, they didn't understand, so we just got on.
Turns out that buses don't run on a time frame. The driver (who looked about 25) and the kid (punk who couldn't have been older than 14) who was hollering "KK" (for Kota Kinabalu) didn't leave until the bus was completely full. The kid would hang out the open door, and as we approached people standing on the side of the road, he would yell "KK" in case anyone needed to board the bus. They also stop whenever there is a big enough group of people standing on the side of the road (doesn't matter if it's not a bus stop).
Overall a fun adventure weekend, but I am struggling to get through this week. Spring break has started for most people, but I still have class tomorrow and an exam on Saturday morning. Bleh. On the bright side, I'll be in Bangkok on Saturday evening until Monday night. Then we're going down to Phuket and doing some island hopping until Friday. I'm a little sad that I won't have time to go ride elephants in the jungle, but I'm conflicted because the elephants aren't always treated with the greatest care in the tourism industry here.
Hopefully I'll have a nice safe trip and that the riots don't start up again.
Last time the riots raged, the airport shut down. Crossing my fingers.
2 comments:
Poor Olli! I hate being thirsty. Do you have an underwater camera? I don't know how you got that picture with your in the water without getting the camera wet.
i just held my camera above water and hoped that i didn't drop it in!
Post a Comment