Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cheery Hump Day

Tuesdays and Wednesday are my least favorite days of the week for this semester. I don't like Tuesdays because it's the start of my week, and it also includes one my more demanding professors. Wednesdays are dreadful because it's in the middle of the week, and it's so difficult to just get over that hump. Thursdays are my favorite classes, and then the weekend!

Today is Wednesday, bleh. To make it a little worse, I had a presentation in my one class today. It's a 3-hr class, and the prof. saves the student case presentations for the end, which is just a loooonnnnggg wait. I got up early this morning b/c my group was meeting up to practice an hour before class. As I dragged myself out of bed, I was just in a foul mood. As I left my apartment, Olli was the only one awake, and he was still in pajamas drinking coffee.

I got to school, and the first thing I saw was a group of students with a bunch of balloons. They were handing them out to a huge flock of people. They also had markers so you can write happy messages on your balloons. Turns out that they were the SMU Peer Helpers, which is a student-to-student counseling group on campus.

For the rest of the day, I saw balloons all over campus, people walking around with them and also balloons tied to benches and railings.

It was nice and made my Wednesday a little more bearable. Also, I've been really tired lately for no reason at all. I just feel exhausted all the time.




Anyway, since this is a post about Singapore. Here are some things about Singapore:

- It has been raining a lot, usually at least one small shower a day.

- Air conditiontining is called "aircon" here.

- I like eating dinner at the hawker center when it's full with families and groups of friends. It makes me feel less lonely about eating dinner by myself.

- My favorite stalls at the Kopitiam across from school are the Thai/Viet and the HK one in the corner.

- My SMU buddy told me that people go to airport to study during their high-school graduation/college entrance exams. It's easy to get to (just ride the MRT all the way to end), open 24hrs, and a nice break from the library/ your house (so you don't go crazy). People sleep there. She actually has friends who still go there to study.

- You pick your seats at the movie theater.

- You can get either salty or sweet popcorn.

- Movie tickets are way cheaper. With a student discount, it's about $4.

- Singaporeans do not like pretzels. I brought some as a snack and shared. It didn't go over well.

- Pocari Sweat = not that tasty. It's like a bad Gatorade (ion supply drink!) in a can.

- The SMU library plays "Closing Time" by Semisonic when it's, well, closing time.

- I have a strong urge to call everyone older than me "auntie" and "uncle."

- I got a hot-dog combo lunch the other day, the combo part was mashed potatoes and small salad. It was interesting, but the bun was super tasty (a little croissant like).

- Most of the water fountains at SMU also have a hot water spigot. I think I will buy tea bags and bring them to the library. OooOo, or hot Milo...

- One of my favorite things is that it is acceptable to have chocolate milk (hot or iced) at any meal. Milo is just powdered chocolate milk, but they add simple syrup. So good.

- There are very few parts of the library where people feel it is actually inappropriate to giggle and talk since you know, you're in a LIBRARY. You basically have to move to the carousels and be a loner if you want quiet.

On another note, I think my camera is breaking. The lens makes a funny sound when I turn it on, and sometimes the display is all fuzzy like it can't focus. Probably because it got crushed at the bottom of my schoolbag.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That camera has no luck abroad.

Tiasha Barik said...

I remember when Brett came back from Singapore, my favorite fun fact was that the library played "Closing Time" when it was time to close... I really wish our library did that!

And maybe you should get a new camera? Or maybe Eric can bring you one when he COMES TO VISIT =P