Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gong Xi Fa Cai

Happy year of the Ox! The roommies and I stayed in good ole S'pore for the long holiday weekend. Nothing too exciting, just went to Chinatown on Sunday to countdown the new year and watch fireworks.

Today we went to see the President's house, The Istana. It's only open to the public on national holidays. Every other day, the President has the sprawling 100 acres to himself, other politicians and foreign dignitaries. And it's at the end of Orchard Road in the middle of the central district. We actually took the same bus I usually take to get to class. Visitors were only allowed on the first floor of the official building, and no photography was allowed. The grounds were gorgeous though with tons of bright flowers. The landscaping crew does an amazing job. Did I mention that there is a golf course inside the gates too? Spot your awkward tourist friend in the picture below:I'm getting used to the new haircut. The bangs are ok, but a little bit annoying because they get stuck to my sweaty forehead. I usually clip them back by the middle of the day. I'm still not acclimated to the weather yet. Some Singaporeans actually wear Fall/Winter clothes here, which is just ridiculous because I'm standing right next them drenched in sweat wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

On another note, someone should come over and have sushi with me. I haven't had sushi since I've been in Asia (sad, I know). None of my roommates have shown positive reaction to my sushi dinner suggestions. Emilia is allergic, so it's ok for her to object. Tero hates seafood. The other 2 are lukewarm.

I guess it's table for one, please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will come eat sushi with you! In fact, from all of your pictures, I would be happy to eat my way through Singapore and then move on to the rest of Asia, one sushi roll, dumpling, and bowl of soup at a time. :-)
You look great and I am SUPER jealous of how much fun you are having.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! Are tigers compatible with Oxen? I can't remember...

The inauguration was awesome to watch here. I stood with about 200 people in the student center and watched it on television. Ever the skeptic, i am interested to see what actually happens in the next 4 years, but it was incredibly moving nonetheless. :-) Miss you love! (Is it April yet? :-)